Clearwater Historic Lodge and Canoe Outfitters was founded in 1915 by Charlie and Petra Boostrom. They chose Clearwater Lake because they believed the view was the best on the Gunflint Trail. The main lodge was completed in 1926 and had 14 rooms. The Boostroms owned and operated the lodge until 1946. The lodge is the oldest and largest free standing hand-hewn whole log structure in the region and is listed on the National Historic Registry. Clearwater Historic Lodge and Canoe Outfitters is the original outfitter and lodge on the Gunflint Trail. Guests have enjoyed Clearwater's beauty and hospitality for 100 years.